STM 002: Three Facts About You, God, & Purpose [Podcast]
There are so many misconceptions about Purpose out there. My goal in this podcast is to get very clear and what purpose is and more specifically, what God has to say about you and your purpose.
You can listen here, download it for later, or subscribe in iTunes. Whichever you choose, I’d be honored if you would leave a comment on what you thought of the show!
Quotes from the Show:
- “There are two great days in a person’s life – the day we are born and the day we discover why.” – Mark Twain
- Definition of Purpose: The reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists.
- “If you don’t know your purpose, discover it, now. The core of your life is your purpose. Everything in your life, from your diet to your career, must be aligned with your purpose if you are to act with coherence and integrity in the world. If you know your purpose, your deepest desire, then the secret of success is to discipline your life so that you support your deepest purpose and minimize distractions and detours.”
Three Facts About God, You, & Purpose
Fact #1: God has a Purpose For you
- Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.”
- Ephesians 2:10 “For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”
Fact #2: Purpose is a Partnership between You & God
- King David said in Chronicles 29:14 “Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand.”
- Paul wrote in Romans 11:36 “For from him and through him and to him are all things.”
- Paul also wrote in 1 Corinthians 4:7 “what do you have that you did not receive?
- Acts 17:25 says that “God is not served by human hands as though he needed anything, for he himself gives to all men life and breath and everything”
- So if everything we have is from God, would you reason that your purpose is also from God? But…it goes even one step further:
- Paul wrote in Philippians 2:13 “For it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.”
- Not only is your purpose from God, it’s his purpose!
- Proverbs 19:21 says “Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.”
- The more your plans are in alignment with his purpose for you, the more peace and fulfillment you will experience. The more out of alignment they are, the more frustration you’re going to feel. There is a lot of wisdom in bringing the plans of your heart and laying them before God.
Fact #3: Purpose is Seasonal
- Purpose is like a puzzle, where most of us only get one piece at a time.
- For 15 years I was asking God what my purpose was but not getting any real clarity. If you’re like me let me encourage you to ask a different question.
- Instead of asking “God what is my life purpose?” ask this question: “In light of my current situation, what is God’s best for me in this season of my life?”
- Proverbs 16:9 says “In their hearts humans plan their course,but the Lord establishes their steps.” That’s how purpose is lived out – step by step. Often you’ll never know what the second of third step should be until you take the first step.
- Don’t wait until you know what your purpose is to start living on purpose. Just ask God for direction what your purpose should be this year, or even just for the next three months. I guarantee you’ll get clarity on that, because that is what he promises to do. As it says in Psalm 119:105 says “Your word is a lamp for my feet” – he lights your path step by step.
Action Step for this Episode
At the top of a blank page or in your journal, write this question, “In light of my present circumstances, what is God’s best for me in the next 6 months?” And just start writing. You may be surprised at what comes out.
[reminder preface=”Comments: “]I’d love to hear from you if you received clarity on your purpose for this next season! Please leave a comment and let me know how this helped you![/reminder]